Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Possible Hypervisor Project (Next Year Maybe?)

After my Vyatta build, I've since had the bug to do another build. I have been planning a type 1 hypervisor build to integrate into my network lab as a server farm of sorts. This is a possible build later this year or early next year. Check out my minimum requirements. 


  • Hypervisor Requirements
    • VMWare Vsphere 
    • Citrix XenServer (I believe this is free) 
  • Virtual Machines/Server Farm
    • Mixed Windows & Linux environment
  • Physical/Case Requirements
    • Rackmount
    • 1U - 2U
  • HDD/SSD Requirements
    • 120-160GB SSD (Hypervisor OS)
    • 2x 2TB HDD (VM Storage)
  • CPU Requirement
    • 2x 8 Core (affordably, AMD Opteron)
  • RAM Requirements
    • 32 - 64GB 
  • NIC Requirements
    • 2x 1Gb 2port NIC (total 4) --- A single 4 port would be too expensive.
    • VLAN QoS/Trunking Support 
    • Intel --- Intel has the best Network Card features/support if you ask me. 
  • PSU Requirements
    • Redundancy
    • 2x Server Power Supplies 

I believe that a NAS will probably be necessary as well for my datastore (images, backups, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment