Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Current Projects (7/17/13)

This week I've been on vacation and decided to take on a couple of home/lab projects before me and my wife make the 8 hour drive to our chosen vacation destination this year; Myrtle Beach, SC. Check out them out.


  • Upgraded laptop from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 13.04 (3-4hrs)
    • It is mandatory to do it sequentially (12.04 to 12.10 then 13.04)
    • The only exception is from LTS(long-term support) release to LTS
    • First major Linux OS upgrade; surprisingly automated and smooth
  • Decided Career Path
    • After some professional advice, I have to decided to pursue CCNP R&S next
    • I have been told it's best to solidify my current skill set, then go for another.
  • New Equipment/Wish List (Below should satisfy my personal lab requirements)
    • 1x Cisco 2821 (final)
    • 3x Cisco 3750 (to complete LAN/WAN setup)
    • 2x Cisco ASA5505 (for security/firewall practice)
    • Vyatta based firewall
    • TACACS+ Server -- Open Source Maybe?
    • vSphere or XenServer
    • Juniper router/firewall (just to mix things up). SRX100 or SRX110 (one or the other) maybe? I hear there is a STEEP learning curve to Juniper(JunOS), so it isn't to be taken lightly.
    • Either way, I figure this will help me strengthen my weaknesses with firewalls, firewall policies, and ACLs. 
    • I hope to simulate Cisco and mixed site-to-site VPNs. 
http://www.cisco.com/web/ANZ/assets/images/asa5505_front.JPG
Cisco ASA 5505
http://www.juniper.net/shared/img/products/srx-series/srx110/srx110-left-high.jpg
Juniper SRX110
http://www.64bit.eu/gallery/3458/juniper-srx-100-service-gateway-firewall-512mb-right-angle-view-default.jpg
Juniper SRX100

No comments:

Post a Comment