Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ubuntu 13.04 All-Purpose Server

So, I received my Supermicro server from ebay a few weeks ago. After some deliberation with myself, I decided against PacketFence and decided to deploy an all purpose server based on Ubuntu 13.04 Server OS. Just to review the specs again, the server came equipped with:
  • Supermicro Super X7DCA-L motherboard
  • 1U Supermicro case
  • 2 x Intel L5420 Xeon 2.5GHz
  • 8 GB PC2-5300-ECC
  • 500GB HDD (Maybe SSD soon!)
  • 2x Integrated Intel 82573L10/100/1000 NICs (eth0 and eth1)
After configuration, I have deployed (painstakingly) the below:
  • Ubuntu Server 13.04 64 bit
    • DHCP (ISC)
      • For all hosts on my lab and out-of-band network
    • DNS (BIND9)
      • For all hosts on my lab and out-of-band network
      • I can finally use hostnames!
    • FTP (vsftpd)
      • For configuration files and IOS backups
      • I also use to store training documentation and videos
    • RADIUS (daloRADIUS+FreeRADIUS)
      • Authenticates all of my lab equipment
      • All around AAA use
    • MySQL (Database for RADIUS)
      • Light use for RADIUS only
That is a lot of services on one server! I know! But as you know, those services have a very small footprint.

Every device must pass the "Apartment Counter" inspection.

I physically examine all of my equipment that I buy before use.

 I use a knife as a screwdriver if I'm too lazy to reach for my drill.

Exceptional physical quality; externally and internally.

I added the server directly under my Internet gateway.

Where all of the packet magic happens...

The server sits on top of my "HQ" edge router.

This is the first physical server to be added to my lab.

Ubuntu Server 13.04 installed via USB seamlessly.























































































































































I am still a relative Linux newbie (1 year 3 months). That being said:
  • Deploying Linux server applications means modifying config file after config file after config file. 
  • FreeRADIUS works, but it can be painful to deploy initially.
  • I fear MySQL even for minimal use and rightfully so. I am not a DBA.
  • Ubuntu Server 13.04 is great 
The most important lesson that I am learning from both Cisco and Linux is...

DEBUG IS YOUR FRIEND!

Of course debugging on Cisco equipment in production environments can cause adverse effects due to CPU overload (if you debug everything, i.e. debug all).

Other than DHCP, I am not afraid to say that I had to debug every other service that I tried to deploy because it did not work correctly the first time.  The process was basically: (1. install (2. deploy (3. debug (4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until success.

I will post some topology diagrams in later posts to show in greater detail how this server has been implemented into my lab topology.


4 comments:

  1. I am thinking of grabbing one of these for my home office. How loud are the fans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that the fans are a little loud for such a small server, especially when it first cranks up. I have two servers and other equipment and it is the loudest one in the rack. Loud enough for me not to hear my wife disable our home security system just to give you an idea. Not so bad in an isolated room though.

      Delete